Ping!

To: <tpearson@westpac.com.au>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ping!
From: <dstieber@paccar.com> (Drew Stieber)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 99 11:26:38 EDT
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:07:10 +1000
From: "Pearson, Tim" <tpearson@westpac.com.au>
Subject: Pinging, compression ratio, and advance....

Snip:
66B. 18GBUH engine. Compression pressure = 170. K&N filters, #6 needles.
Mild cam. Stock distributor. Free flow, single muffler exhaust. NGK BP6ES
plugs.
Local fuel here is about 94 - 96 Octane leaded.

Comments, anyone??

Tim
66B rdstr YGHN3-3238
Unsnip:

My comments:

If it pings lightly under load and full throttle you are probably going a
bit lean.  As an experiment when it starts to ping pull out your choke
cable and see if the pinging stops.  If it does and you arnt squeamish,
take some sandpaper to the end of your carb needle (the vert end) and
richen it up a bit.

When ever you start doing non-original things (K & N, different cam,
exhaust, emissions components mysterially dissapearing etc..) you need to
re-evaluate the timing, carburation etc...The sound of pinging gives me the
heebie geebies.

Reminds me of my 77B when I made an accelerator pump out of the automatic
choke mechanism to give it a boost off the line.  I had the fastest mostly
stock 77B in the world.  (got even faster after I put dual HIF6's on
her...VROOOMMM).  Different story.

Later,

Drew