Re: STEERING GONE BAD

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STEERING GONE BAD
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:40:23 -0700
Well, the shims take up slack but can't fully compensate for a worn rack.
Typically, the rack is worn more in the middle, and less at the ends. So
if you shim it for tightness at the center, you hit massive resistance at
the extremes. Been there (on my B), bought a new rack and love it.

I don't know about the access issue in the Midget (probably not good),
but isn't it going to be a little difficult evaluating steering "feel"
with the car immobilized? I say, try the shims now, and if it doesn't
work out (as I suspect), you can replace the rack while the engine's out.

My 2 cents...

Michael Nadeau had this to say:

--

Max Heim