Re: Hardtops

To: "Scott/Michelle" <mcjsr@talstar.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hardtops
From: "Don Collins" <decolins@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:56:58 -0500
Scott,
About 3 weeks ago I got REALLY lucky for a MG club member here in town came
across a Parrish HT for $150. (thanks TJ!). $60 for sandpaper, primer and
paint to match the car and it came out perfect.  The fit was easy. The only
difference with the Parrish and the factory is the 2 rear retainers on the
body for the soft top is not used in the Parrish as it is in the Factory HT.
The tops clamps on using the other stock points for a soft top.  I put it to
the test over the weekend for the MG club picnic (rained all day) here in
Austin and it was GREAT!  It was nice for a change to drive the B and get
there dry. Also the noise level is allot lower. The SO really enjoyed our
midnight drive last Friday with it on and actually did not want to stop
driving at 2am.
Placing it on the body is fairly easy for 2, but can be done by one person.
Having help is much better. I am making a pulley system now in the garage to
stow the top up out of the way. I know that the systems exists for the MB
hardtops. Anyone seen a aftermarket one?
If the top is a Parrish then parts are pretty easy to come by. try this
place.
http://www.fiatparts.com/htparts.htm
As for the factory ones. ... VB and Moss have some parts.
I have tried to restore a factory HT but the parts (gaskets) were getting
hard to come by. I will tackle that job again in the coming months for a
friend and try to make some gaskets for the body seal.
Good luck with it. I know I really like mine.

Don Collins
70B
72BGT
55TF on loan in the garage taking up the 70's place! hey the HT works great
in the rain for the 70!