custom engine....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: custom engine....
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:21:55 EDT
        Re: cam and engine mods:

        My  $.02 on this is different than Lawrie's because of different car
used... I used a mid-range cam (generic, but about identical to the Kent) in
my 68 BGT and Loved It, both cruising and driving hard. Mileage wasn't
notably affected, except maybe more by how I drove than the cam...<g>
 The major difference of course is that the 78 Lawrie mentioned was a
smog/cat/low compression motor, mine had no smog and higher compression.
Also, the B motor likes to inhale more than the stock setup allows. The other
mods I did along with the cam were some mild porting and chamber cleanup,
intake manifold matching, a first class 3-angle valve job with the later 1.62
intakes, new lifters and Crane chrome-moly pushrods (not essential but cost
the same as the stock ones) and a rebuilt rocker shaft, as well as a new
timing chain and oil pump. The bottom end of this motor was already known to
be very sound, but was inspected as well, with more cam you're going to drive
harder and weak links break first...
 If you get the B power tuning book from moss by Peter Burgess, he gives a
good formula approach to what works, and what doesn't work, and I'd advise
buying and reading this before spending money. "Bolt on" performance is a
misnomer, even "just" putting a cam in requires more thought about other
components and how they will be affected, as I've detailed. Oh, and btw, to
pull the cam you WILL be pulling the pan, so at least do the oil pump while
you're there. You can get a cursory look at your bores while in there too,
and may wish to pull a bearing cap while you're there as well. This kinda
ends up being Pandora's box, as you can see. Oh and BTW the cam timing must
be done properly, or it will not produce the desire effects.
Cheers!