mg motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: mg motor
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:21:56 EDT
Your motor is a 3 main bearing motor from around 1963-64 vintage. The short
version is that it is not a direct bolt-up replacement for your 5 main 72
motor. However, if you swap your later engine backing plate (easy, bolts and
gasket) flywheel (easy, bolts and locktab) and machine down the input shaft
of your transmission to fit the smaller rear crank spigot hole (not even
close to easy and not a good idea) or subsitute an input shaft from an Austin
Marina, which has the proper size input shaft for reasons that only God and
British-phlegm-sucking-Leyland knows. Starting with 18GB series motors, the
conversions get simple, but not this one..
Good Luck