Trunk (boot) stuck open

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Trunk (boot) stuck open
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:46:45 EDT
Sorry I am late to this thread.... Several have suggested pushing on the boot
lid or the plate bracket in an attempt to flex the latch and/or the stricker.
This sounds like it could potentialy damage the paint or worse. When I was
restoring my car and installing a new push button lock assembly I had to
adjust both the push button lock asembly and the stricker many times until it
would open easily. Twice it closed and would NOT open by the button. At that
time the rear bulkhead trim panel hadnt yet been installed and a PO had cut a
circular hole (for a speaker I presume) in the bulkhead. Using a straightened
coat hanger in one hand, and a flashlight in the other, I was able to pull
the latch open from inside the car (several times, as it turned out).
Eventually I added a few small washers under the little plate that is bolted
to the bottom of the button to enhance its action against the latch.
Conventional wisdom says you can open the boot from the reverse light holes,
also using a bent wire, but then you cant see the latch as easily. If your
bulhead has holes, use those. Or if you are really desparate you can cut a
hole =:>0. At least it can be covered up, which is easier than repainting the
boot lid. Good Luck. Andy Blackley 69 MGB NAMGBR #1-371