Re: LH-type overdrive won't release

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LH-type overdrive won't release
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:40:43 -0700
Well, I don't know if it's significant, but I see a pattern developing...
I use 30w and my OD disengages instantly. Any corroborating reports?

BTW this is a 77 or newer OD transmission in my 66 (don't be fooled by
the date).

Oh, and I recall a while back a thread on this subject started by the
notorious Monsieur R_____; who, however, seemed to have an intelligent
suggestion about using Redline TS (correct letters?) transmission oil.
Anyway, the discussion went over the various factory recommendations
(which changed from time to time, hence the confusion), and eventually
someone asserted that the reason the factory couldn't make up its mind
was because all of the options were compromises between wear protection,
slipperiness, and climate. So, I would conclude, if what you're using
works, that's OK. If you're experiencing some kind of problem, however,
try changing, on the assumption that another choice might be more
appropriate for your driving patterns/state of transmission wear/local
climate. Does that make sense?

Tom McLaughlin had this to say:

--

Max Heim