Re Learning to paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re Learning to paint
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 01:00:46 EDT
Gotta agree about practice and cleanliness. Laquer is sure easy cause it
dries so fast, but in most areas you can't even buy it, much less legally
shoot it, and more modern paints definately last longer.
Your points about hvlp and urethane are tied together, though you may not
have realized it. Because  the urethanes and enamels stay tacky longer, not
only is dust a problem, but also overspray still hanging in the air. (been
there, sanded that!) Because of this, the HVLP gun is a real life saver for
us under-equipped semi-novices, in that because there is so much less
overspray, there's that much less garbage to dry in the air and fall into the
still tacky finish as dry paint dust. As a relative rookie (couple of
partials, one complete) I find the HVLP gun not only saves me lots of paint
($$$$$) but also IMHO  is more run-proof, easier to control, and without all
of that paint in the air I can actually see what I'm doing... and the paint
isn't falling as dry dust all over the car. (In a proper booth, of course, it
wouldn't matter nearly as much, but under-equipped is where lots of us live.)
Gotta second the motion about masks and resperators.. always use what your
competent  paint store recommends for the paint you are using, and anytime
you use a catalized paint cover all of your skin + use proper mask with
prefilters + proper goggles, EVEN when you are "just" mixing the paint. IF
you EVER smell paint while masked up, STOP and get out. If you can smell it,
it can coat your lungs and kill you. That stuff is rapidly fatal and must be
handled with due respect. Also store the mask properly,  most are no good if
left in the open air for any length of time.
Cheers

-----------Partial original message___________________
From: Brian Boss <boss@fastlane.net>
3) I feel that HVLP guns don't produce better results, they just use
less paint. Therefore, if you don't plan to do a number of cars, a
good suction gun is the best deal.

4) Both projects looked nice but I swore I would never paint another
car with urethane unless I built a proper booth. It stays tacky so
long and dust is so hard to eliminate.

I pretty much second everything Alan said, especially #1 and #2,
practice a lot and don't go on to the next step if something isn't
right. Painting is time consuming but anyone can produce professional
results if they are patient.

Brian Boss
boss@fastlane.net