RE: hardware question

To: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Subject: RE: hardware question
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:03:34 -0700
Alan:

        Those bolts are for the shoulder straps of the DOT required 3 point
seat belts.  They were kinda clugey as the belt had to be unlatched when the
top was put up or down.  The plastic chunk mated with a keyhole shape in the
belt mounting plate.  Press down on the plastic and slide the mounting plate
over the bolt head.  As the cars got older the plastic would tend to harden
and most have broken by now.

        The design was dropped when retractable seat belts were required in
1973.  The original 3 point non-retractable design IMHO is not anywhere near
as usable as a good set of retractable belts.

Kelvin