Re: No LBC, BUT.. Affects this list.....

To: cperry@fw.waterpik.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No LBC, BUT.. Affects this list.....
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:40:42 EDT
<< The last few months have revealed an
>>alarming trend in the Government of the United States attempting
>>to quietly push through legislation that will affect your use of the
>>Internet.  Under proposed legislation the U.S. Postal Service will
>>be attempting to bilk email users out of "alternate postage fees".
>>Bill 602P will permit the Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent surcharge
>>on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service Providers at
>>source.  The consumer would then be billed in turn by the ISP.
>>Washington D.C. lawyer Richard Stepp is working without pay to
>>prevent this legislation from becoming law. >>

More on this hoax...

I found this version of the same e-mail:

"The last few months have revealed an alarming trend in the Government of
Canada attempting to quietly push through legislation that will affect your
use of the Internet. Under proposed legislation Canada Post will be
attempting to bilk email users out of "alternate postage fees".

Bill 602P will permit the Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent surcharge on every
email delivered, by billing Internet Service Providers at source. The
consumer would then be billed in turn by the ISP. Toronto lawyer Richard
Stepp QC is working without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming
law."

Funny that this one uses the SAME bill number and the same lawyer's name,
although it is supposed to be in Canada.  Note that the wording is also
exactly the same.

BTW, bills that originate in the Senate always start with "S" and bills that
originate in the House always start with "H."  (That's so the government can
keep track!)  There can be NO bill #602P in the United States government.

Although I understand your good intentions, please go to www.snopes.com
before propagating rumors.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget