Re: Parking Brake

To: jroverca@tiac.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parking Brake
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:48:33 EDT
In a message dated 7/14/99 7:42:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jroverca@tiac.net writes:

<< My problem is this.  My parking brake takes an unbelievable amount of pull
 to engage and practically has to be beat on to disengage.

 What I have done: Checked the bracket attached to the differential to be
 sure it is not frozen, shot some grease in the nipple on the cable (Grease
 oozed out not an inch from the fitting.  All other parts of the system are
 free and moving as they should.

 What I think:  The cable is dry in the sleeve and is binding.

 Short of taking everything apart (I really dislike removing the seats) any
 suggestions. >>

Nope.  The handle on my Midget was very tight.  I removed the seats to
replace the carpet and took out the handbrake lever to replace the cable.
The cable was fine.  The lever just was very stiff.  Cleaned it up, lubed it
liberally, now it's fine.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport