Re: MGB Tire Pressures

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Tire Pressures
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:10:43 -0700
Time to toot one's horn I think (after a miserable day at the shop, working
on a TR7, maybe I'm allowed?!)

This tip, and many of the others, came from the pen of yours truly, when I
was working at Moss and in charge of the department that was re-creating all
the catalogs in the early eighties.

I've stayed out of the "what is the correct tire pressure" discussion
because, as some have said, so much depends on the size of tire in use (and
some people these days are fitting what are, IMNSHO, quite foolishly wide
and low  profile tires on the original skinny wheels). However, I still
stand by my original contention as published: a chrome-bumper MGB or 77-80
RB car in stock trim needs at least 2lbs more pressure in the rear tires to
prevent oversteer, the early, non-rear-swaybar rubber bumper cars should
have at least 5lbs more at the rear.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center