Stainles system:

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stainles system:
From: jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:48:46 +0200
Here are some q' for you.
When I bought the car, I knew the exhaust had to be replaced. I decided to
buy a stainless steel system. Since some of my friends where going to
Newcastle, England, I ordered it, and some other stuff,  from ' sport car
suppliers' there. The reason is that when my friends picked up the parts (
for export), they did not have to pay VAT. Some paperwork is needed .  Also,
in to Norway, it is not nessecary to pay MVA ( =Norweegian VAT) on goods
that you carry yourself. There is a max value on the goods! But the result
is cheap parts. Legally

OK here is the problem.
The system is really four parts. One manifold part/pipe , from cyl 1&4, and
one long pipe from cyl 2/3. They go into a ' Y' piece, and the 'Y' then into
the two silencer partFrom the rear of the car, the sound is nice MGB. From
inside, and also from the side of the car, it sounds as if I have a leak. I
have been under the car, trying to fix 'the leak' If I have a leak, it must
be small. Cannot feel any hot air, also cannot see any leak ( = soot on the
metal). The sound is 'high frequency' bang bang, sound like a well,...
leaking system. sort of..
I was told by someone who has had an MG for years, ' I do not like the sound
of a SS exhaust sysem'. Is this what he meant. Some think I have a leak,
some think this it what SS system sounds like.

Any ideas ? I will be under the car this weekend :-)
Jon Arikstad
1970 leaking? MGB GT

I also have noice, dunk dunk, when one of the silencers sometimes hits the
floor, ( easy fix, this weekend). And dingdingding when the exhaust pipe
only just  touches a nut holding the rear left spring.