Re: Alternative OD switch location

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <tsouthworth@att.net>
Subject: Re: Alternative OD switch location
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:59:35 -0700
> .I'd like to appeal to the list for some help.  I need to
> wire up the OD on my 70 B.  The column mounted switch is
> kaput and I'd just as soon move it to a flip switch
> mounted near the radio.
> Originally there was no OD in this car so no wiring
> exists.

Wrongo Tuckster.  The wiring is there and waiting for you.  If you look
in the blob of wires above the loom that drops down the right fender
near the firewall you will find a female connector on a yellow wire.  In
a '70 the overdrive wiring is very simple.  From that connector run a
wire to the O/D cutout switch on the transmission, then to the O/D
seleniod.  You are done.  To check if your column switch works, just
plug your VOM or 12v test lamp into the connector you previously found,
and pull back on the column switch.  Piece of cake...

> What are the basics for connecting the overdrive
> unit to a dash mounted on/off switch?

See, now you are treading on DPO waters...

> I'd especially like
> to avoid those shocks I was reading about.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Not a problem you will run into on a regular basis.

> Thanks,
> Tuck Southworth

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage
'70 MGB GT  -ours
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."