Lead Loading Bodywork

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lead Loading Bodywork
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 02:27:23 EDT
Much to the contrary advice that it would be difficult, I lead loaded a dent
in my 1959 MG Pinninfarina Magnette.  It was simple to master, much simpler
than Bondo.  WHAT???
  Yes, because thinnk of it this way.  Lets say you really mess up Bondo...
its there and difficult to remove.  Lead?  Torch it and its gone.
  Summary of how to work lead:
     1) spread tinning butter, torch it till its brown.  Clean with baking
soda/water, then wash with thinner.
     2) heat surface and lead stick.  Dap globs on thicker than the dent.
All willy nilly is fine, just get the lead on.  Let it harden.
     3) Torch your lard tray, and put your special wooden spreader in it to
get it good and greasy.  Torch the lead a little, to soften it, then spread
it all smooth with the wooden spreader.
     4) File down any high spots, then sand it.

   The results are AMAZING.  I was simply estatic, it is wonderful.  I was so
impressed.  I bought my kit from Eastwood and used a benzomatic from Home
Depot.  Anyone who ventures into this and needs help write, because I
mastered this supposive "ancient art" in just a few minutes.  It works and
looks great.  Its just not as cheap, but talk about a quality repair.  I will
NEVER use bondo again.

  John

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/farina