RE: Jag XKE

To: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>
Subject: RE: Jag XKE
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:19:18 -0700
Thomas:

        Run do not walk away :0

        Seriously.

        What year is it?  Is it a Fixed Head Coupe FHC or a 2+2?

FHC E-Types are desirable, early 2+2s are not very and later 2+2 which got
really bulbous are not at all.

The main difference is looks.  The FHC looks beautyful with smooth flowing
lines.  Like a Open car with a hatchback.  The 2+2 is more bulbous and has a
higher roofline that makes it look a little awkward.  The later 2+2 is more
so and looks more like it had a sedan roofline grafted on.

        These are my personal opinions only and are not intended to
insult/disparage other peoples tastes or vehicles.

        Parts for a full engine rebuild run anywhere from $1000 -$2000.  The
set up of the head and cams is time consuming and diligence is required.
>From my understanding, working on an E-Type is not fun, too many bits in too
little space.

        The body shell is very prone to rust, and is pretty
difficult/expensive to repair correctly.

        If the car is a FHC it is probably worth the $6000, so $4000 is a
deal.  If it is a 2+2 then given the condition I'd keep looking.  But always
keep in mind the British car adage.  A Jag in the backyard is worth two in a
dream.
        Also these insights are tainted by living in the sunbelt, also I own
a tatty Jaguar 3.8S so what do I know.

TTFN

Kelvin.