jag e-type

To: mgs@autox.team.net, lrcar@red4est.com
Subject: jag e-type
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:14:45 EDT
First I coudn't agree more with point #1!!!
#2 has me puzzled a bit, I think you're comparing apples to oranges, since
the example given in the price of fixing up a GT to perfection as opposed to
the initial  cost of the E-type. First, I see decent E-type coupes for less
than 16k, but regardless of that, I bet I can find a drop-dead gorgous BGT
for you for less than half that much. Fixing up your own car may be a
different story, but that would depend on where you are starting from. Give
me 16K to build a GT and I'll make you very happy while living well on the
profits.

For example, I sold my shiny, well kept 68 GT this year for 4K. If I was the
buyer, if I spent $2500 on a high class paint job (hand-rubbed urethane, got
the quote) did a little detailing, and recovered the seats, it would bring it
close to concours quality, the car was that good to start. Maybe period tires
and all new chrome to finish the job, mine wasn't more than very good. That's
under $8k invested for a show-quality BGT. (this also proves again point #1
about starting with the right car....)
I would question whether anyone to try to build a show-quality e-type, even a
2+2, for less than 20-25k++ even if starting cheap with a decent car. The
proverbial 12-15k E-coupe would not be close to a show car by Jag standards..
So maybe throwing buckets of money at a GT could bring you close to a jag
price, but in this example it seems that for the money you would have a
Perfect GT as opposed to a decent but used and worn E type. Considering what
it would then cost to perfect the E-type, the B looks like a bargain no
matter what you spend on it.
_______------------------------------------------________________________
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Jag XKE

There are a few things that I've learned over the years.

1) It is cheaper to buy a car that is already fixed up than to fix it
yourself.
corollary: the most expensive cars I've ever owned were given to me.

2) It basically costs as much to restore an MG as a Jaguar.

You can buy a nice E-type coupe for about $16,000.  That is about
what I was figuring that I would have spent on my BGT when I was
done fixing it up.  So, you can buy the Jag for about $4,000,
and spend $10-15,000 fixing it up.  Or you can buy one in nice
shape for about $15,000 and drive it.