Re: the E-type from hell...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: the E-type from hell...
From: "Kristian Chronister" <kristian@chronister.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:29:46 -0400
I have to chime in with a "me too"

I'm rather vexed at seeing the "conventional wisdom" stated time and time
again that "it costs as much to restore an MG (or Triumph) as an Austin or
Jaguar." This is given as a reason to NOT buy an MG or T/TR in need of
restoration, but rather to ONLY buy those not needing restoration. I've seen
it on web sites, in "buying guides" etc. etc.

Yes, there are good arguments why it's a better idea to buy an
already-restored or still-good car in the MG or T/TR price range (basically,
they're not THAT expensive and not THAT hard to find). But, I have NOT found
that it costs "as much" to restore one. It does take about as much time in
my experience, but used parts are cheaper and usually easier to find, whole
'parts cars' are cheaper, new parts are more readily available and in
general it costs notably less in terms of cold hard cash.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Kris