Miscellaneous Grumblings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Miscellaneous Grumblings
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:18:19 -0500
I just got back from visiting my sister, her husband, and my newly-born
nephew (my first such neice/nephew).  I elected to take the MGB on the
3.5 hour trip to her home.  I thought I would share some wisdom and/or
humor I gleaned from my trip:

1.  NEVER, EVER, EVER drive your MGB in a heatwave without a shirt
without the prior judicious application of sunblock.  Typically, I would
advise against shirtless driving anyway, but it was hot, I was driving
past cotton fields, and I had already sweated through my t-shirt.

I thought it might be cool things off if I drove minus my shirt.  I
draped my shirt on the seat back (black vinyl seats in Mississippi?!?),
buckled my seat belt, and 2 hours later?  Voila!

Now I am a walking 'diver down' flag.  You know what I'm talking about,
the white diagonal stripe on the red background.

Yes, ladies and gentleman, I got a nice lobster-red sunburn on my chest
and arms, except where the seatbelt crossed my chest.  My SO hasn't
stopped laughing yet.

2.  One day, I'm going to write a book about billboards in front of
churches.  The one I saw today should probably get 1st place:

     "And you think it's hot here?"

3.  My trip home was better than the first leg:  driving on empty
two-lane country back-roads in the early evening after a thunderstorm.
There was an almost phsychadelic (sp? - you can tell I never did drugs)
yellow haze over the landscape.  T'was very rewarding.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
pokrefke@netdoor.com