MGB Starting Problem Cured (Long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Starting Problem Cured (Long)
From: Nferre@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:47:00 EDT
Hi Gang!

I thought I would drop the list a line and tell you about a problem that I
have been having with my 79 MGB.

Three weeks ago, I went out for lunch, and when I came out of the restaurant,
the MG wouldn't start, only the starter solenoid would click.  I got a jump,
and took it home, filled the battery with water, and put it on the charger.

Everything was fine after that until the night before last.  I got in after
work, turned the key, and the engine turned over slowly, and finally started.
 Yesterday afternoon, the car wouldn't start at all.

I purchased/installed a new battery, but still got the cranks slow, then
starts, or sometimes, the no start.  Checked both the battery cables, and the
starter, all appeared fine.

Then I checked the wiring at the alternator, and one of the wires had a bit
of missing insulation, and the wire was a bit frayed.  I repaired it and all
is fine now!!!  I just can't figure out why my ignition light never
illuminated (It does work).

Just thought I'd pass the story along, in case someone else out there is
having a similar problem.

Nels Ferre
Lake Mary, FL
79 MGB