Re: Fuel tank

To: mgrepairs@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Fuel tank
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:42:15 EDT
Terry,
  The top of my '75's tank did disappear, into rust and scale and thence
into the fuel filters.  I kept smelling gas, then more and more of it.
Couldn't locate the problem, so finally took the car  to a shop.  By the
time I got home, they were calling me and laughing that the mechanic's
wrench that he slid up on top of the tank while going underneath fell
into the tank.   About 70 percent of the top of the tank was as porous as
a piece of gauze.  I had bought the car in Maine, apparently having spent
its life there, then put on another winter, for nine or ten years of
year-round use.  Apparently it's the sand and road salt that lodges on
the top of the tank and eats it from the top down.