Re: sputters out????

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: sputters out????
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 14:41:09 -0700
Don't you mean the clutch would "disengage" when you depressed the pedal,
and then slowly "engage" even as the pedal was still depressed (classic
symptom of a leaky cylinder)? The term "clutch slip" refers to a
situation where applying the throttle in gear with the clutch engaged
(i.e. pedal up) results in the engine revving but no commensurate
increase in vehicle speed, usually due to a worn out clutch lining. This
does not seem relevant to your situation.

Semantic quibbles aside, are you hearing the fuel pump ticking away when
you start the engine? Can you see any gas in the gas filter (assuming you
have a transparent-bodied one located in the engine compartment)? If the
car has been sitting for some time the gas could be pretty yucky, you may
have a clogged line at the pump or a clogged filter. Try removing the
filter and cranking the engine (with a jug positioned to catch the gas
flow, of course) to see if you are actually getting fuel at the carb.

Good luck.

Scott/Michelle had this to say:

--

Max Heim