Re: rear suspension geometry

To: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>,
Subject: Re: rear suspension geometry
From: "teds" <teds@accessone.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 17:21:10 -0700
Harlan, thanks for your detailed reply. I understand what you mean about the
tube shock/spring rebound rate. I wonder however that since the shock(s)
were not really designed to operate in this plane, (but were meant to be
strictly vertical), if they wear out much quicker due to the more intense
side or top loading. (more side mechanical wear).

I was thinking this was the case, also with various types of terrain the
rear suspension (with tube shocks), will act like there is no suspension at
all. I believe this occurs if the terrain has bumps that interfere time/wise
with the dampening actions of the shocks and the rebound of the springs,
such as in a series of 3-4 inch bumps in quick succession which individually
slowly taper off, like on a smooth slope.

when I travel over a series of these, (and at very slow speeds), (there is a
set unfortunately right in front of my house), the rear of the car and the
occupants are severely pounded, however  a pot hole or something like that
will not produce such a similar jaw jarring response.

I tend to suspect that returning the original shocks to the car would
actually be a good idea, perhaps the mad rush to 'improve' things British is
not warranted here. Would it be as simple as just obtaining a set of working
lever shocks ? I didn't put these in, the po did, but I do not see anything
special installed anywhere.

thanks, Ted Stowe