Re: Distributor Problem-need help

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Distributor Problem-need help
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:51:10 -0700
Word on the street is that GMGoodman@aol.com said:
> The plate which the
> points, and condenser are attached  can be rotated manually by hand ---should
> it return to the original spot when released?

Yes.  If you suck on the vac advance hose, you will see this plate rotate
and then click back when you release the vacuum.

Have you checked the static or dynamic timing?  Have you checked for spark on
all the plugs?  You didn't say it was misfiring, so I would suspect the
timing first.

> I'm sure it's something minor and tomorrow I'll try to figure it out.   Any
> ideas, or its it just time to switch to an electronic ignition?

Personally I don't understand the attraction with electronic ignitions,
points are perfectly reliable and I feel better with something mechanical
that can be fixed well enough to make it to where you're going if something
DOES go wrong rather than a black box that either works or doesn't.

Funny, I work with computers all day :)

Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__      Safety Fast!
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     MGOFR 1.375