Re: MGA inter tie rods...

To: "Dean Crowley" <dcdccccckc@worldnet.att.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA inter tie rods...
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:53:09 +0100
Not sure about the terminology, but if by 'inter tie rod' you mean the rod
that comes out of the rubber boot each side, that is not shimmed.  There is
a ball joint where it meets the rack with a spring between the two.  The
ball housing is tightened until a force of 32 to 52 pound *inches* is
required to move it, then the locknut is tightened to 33 to 37 pound *feet*,
then the lips of the locking ring are punched into the grooves in the ball
housing and rack.  The manual recommends that the locking ring is replaced
if disturbed, but take great care if you do, it has a very fine thread on a
relatively large diameter and it is very easy to cross-tread it.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)