Re: Speedo swings wildly

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo swings wildly
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:05:57
At 12:56 PM 8/12/99 +1000, Neil Cotty wrote:
>.... The Speedo on my car swings wildly when driving, fluctuating 10-20mph
at times. When the car is off, it stays at about 20-40mph - or where it
feels like stopping at the time. .... Is it likely to be the cable, or the
Speedo itself?

Yes.

Wildly swinging needle is often caused by a kinked or sticking cable.
Failure for the needle to park on zero at a dead stop is a sticking naim
shaft bushing, requiring a good cleaning and a -small- drop of light oil.
If you're cheap like me you fix the sticky needle first, and maybe
disassemble and clean and lube the cable, then test it again before you
spend the cash on the new cable.

Barney (Grapes of Wrath) Gaylord, (so tight he squeeks when he walks)
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg