Re: Virus

To: "Scott/Michelle" <mcjsr@talstar.com>
Subject: Re: Virus
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:01:18 -0400
Please be careful about submitting these things to the list.

This particular one is a hoax.

It has been around for a while. There are several web sites that track
these things (www.nai.com, www.ciac.org, etc). If you get this type of
info and are not sure about the veracity of them, check the web before
wasting bandwidth by propagating them around. I work in the biz (as well
as working on the evaluation team for anti-viral software for the U of
Penn) and have a number of contacts that I can get to quickly. If you
can't find the info on the web, feel free to email me and I will check it
out.

This happens to be the second time today I have gotten this notice. And
even though it is the second time it does not make it any less of a hoax.
People start these hoaxes so that they can see how far it goes. As well
as to maliciously add more email to your already full inbox.

Larry

>Subject: Computer Virus
>

>I've just received a message about a new computer virus that I thought I
>would pass along to you.  It's called WOBBLER.  The message came from
>the Executive Director of the Florida Fire Chiefs' Association.
>
>"It will arrive on e-mail titled "CALIFORNIA."  IBM and AOL have
>announced that it is VERY powerful, much more so than Melissa.  There is
>NO remedy.  It will eat (DESTROY) ALL your information on your hard
>drive and destroys Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
>
>DO NOT open anything with the title "CALIFORNIA" and please pass this
>message on to anyone who uses you e-mail.  Not many people know about
>this yet, so propagate this message as quickly as possible!

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?