Re: ignition timing

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ignition timing
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:05:06 +0100
If you get pinging/pinking when under load it is an indication that the
centrifugal advance may be too high, which can be caused by stretched
springs allowing max advance at too low an rpm.  An adjustable timing light
is really useful for checking/plotting the advance curve and vacuum advance.
By contrast, pinging/pinking on a light throttle can mean no more than the
timing is set too advanced.

Clausager has a comparison list for Gold Seal or other pukka replacement
engines.  For example, and to pluck one out at random, he states that a 48G
393 is a rebuilt 18GB low compression with manual gearbox.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)