Re: U-Joints Question

To: "John A. Walker" <john@rmartin.net>
Subject: Re: U-Joints Question
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 01:04:12 -0500
John A. Walker wrote:

> Question to the list:
>
> Other than the occasional annoying clunk,
> is there any danger associated with driving a B
> with worn u-joints?
> By doing so, can you damage other more expensive parts?
> I am not talking autocross style driving mind you,
> I am simply talking about around town casual driving.

Stress-damaged parts tend to break when stressed the most. This is a
function of Murphy's Law and physics.  ;)

This predicts one of the u-joints will fail catastophically right when
you *really* need it not to.

It's really a safety question.

Trust me, you don't want a self-disconnected drive-shaft flailing around
under the car, if the back one breaks, smacking into the road and trying
to get to your lower parts, but that's still better than having the
front one go and break loose and hit a crack in the paving and start you
pogoing at the nearest brick wall or pedestrian.

My opinion.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com