Re: Heater Control Cable and Current

To: FlynShoot@aol.com
Subject: Re: Heater Control Cable and Current
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 19:40:05 -0500
FlynShoot@aol.com wrote:

> I recently had the engine replaced in my MGB. When I got it back the heater
> control would not turn to the off position. I knew it was just a matter of
> adjustment so I took it back when the mechanic (not a pro, but a real Brit
> Car fan) asked me to bring it over so that he could take a quick look at
> everything to make sure things were working well.
>
> When he went to adjust the heater control cable on the valve at the block, he
> said that it was hot. The car had cooled and the ignition was off. He said
> that this was not right and that I probably had a wire from the radio
> touching the cable in the dash somewhere. He disconnected the cable from the
> valve to prevent current flow and told me to take a look at it when I had
> time as it was not critical.
>
> I have looked and can find nothing touching this cable. Additionally, I can
> find no grounding cables on the car.
>
> Are these problems related and has anyone else had anything similar?

If you have no big braided wire or copper wire ground strap from the
engine/tranamission to the metal vehicle body and the cables are acting
as a ground, it's a wonder they haven't melted away, since this is what
usually happens the first time you engage the starter.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com
Rocky's Mini Cooper Page: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6437/