Re: Windows Y2K "Important"

To: "Dan Dwelley" <ddwelley@excite.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Windows Y2K "Important"
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:35:51 +0100
It all depends on the applications that use the date.  If they use the date
number that generates the date display (in whatever format) you will have no
problem.  If your application uses text strings that contains the date
display with the short year you may have problems, depending on whether it
uses a rule to determine the century or not.  Microsoft uses 45 (I think) as
the changeover point i.e. 00 to 45 will be interpreted as 20nn, 46 to 99
will be interpreted as 19nn.  Other products use 50 as the changeover point.
However this is still going to have problems with birth dates (like sending
your 104 year old great-great-granny her pre-school information pack).  If
your software has no rule it probably doesn't recognise 2000 at all.

PaulH.