RE: Car wash crud...

To: "'Scott Hower'" <howersl@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Car wash crud...
From: Perry Robinson <PROBINSO@flower-mound.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:51:37 -0500
Actually there is a difference; that is in the amount.  The EPA
regulates the amount of oil and other petroleum products that any city
or state can have in the natural bodies of water resulting from the
runoff from the streets and roadways. This is known as storm water run
off.  Virtually all automobiles (and especially our beloved LBC's) leak
oil and other automotic fluids, which pretty much stay in one place,
until it rains.  Then they travel with the water into the storm sewer,
which then runs into the streams, lakes, and rivers.

Back to the comparison between washing your car (or engine) and changing
your oil down the car wash drain.  Most states (I know for sure in
Texas) require car washes to have grease and oil separators between
their wash bays, and the City's sanitary sewer.  Which brings up the
last issue:  car wash bays drain into the sanitary sewer system that
undergoes treatment at the local waste water plant, and NOT into the
lakes and streams-that's where the storm water runs off to.

If you are truly concerned about how much oil is going into your natural
bodies of water, you would quit driving that oil leaking British car,
and not be concerned about someone washing their car body or motor at
the car wash.

Perry Robinson
Environmental Health Inspector and British Car Owner
Texas