Re: Decent heat (?)

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: Decent heat (?)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:41:08 -0700
OK, you're right about the radiator. But I have a 190 degree thermostat
(they don't come any higher than that, do they?). The issue seems to be
that the air flow around the engine keeps it below 190 degrees at highway
speed in cold weather (the needle sits at 170-180). What I would need to
get the thermostat to open would be a *lower* temperature thermostat, but
this would have the opposite effect of what is intended, i.e. achieve a
higher water temperature in the block.

That's why I was suggesting blocking the radiator, to reduce air flow
through the engine compartment. Or possibly the solution would be to wrap
up the oil cooler radiator, or install one of those oil cooler
thermostats.

Anyway, I've never pursued it, because in my climate this is a rare
occurence. I've only experienced it up at Yosemite, in the coastal
mountains, and in San Francisco in an October fog.

Charley & Peggy Robinson had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149