Rear Differential/Axle Problem

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Differential/Axle Problem
From: "David M McNaughton" <david@mcna.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 16:05:05 +0100
Help and Advice please!

My daily transport MGB GT 1973 C/B has developed a clank on drive off
and vibration while driving.

I have just crawled out from under and it seems that the rear differential
is at fault.

On jacking up the rear and spinning the rear wheels there is a definite
clank on first movement and clank on spinning in either direction.  The prop
shaft is sound and the looseness is evident  in the differential unit
itself.

I guess that we are heading for a service exchange unit.

Any advice on the swap over of units would be much appreciated.  How easy is
this job?

Thanks in advance

David McNaughton