Should I buy this MGB?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Should I buy this MGB?
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:40:29 -0400
I am new to the list (and MG's in general), and I am looking at a flame red
'72 MGB for possible purchase. The car has 127k on it, has had the engine
rebuilt 40k ago, has had a new clutch installed within the last 5k miles and
new paint 2 years ago. It also has a new brake master cylinder, newer
shocks, new seat covers and headrests, and is PA state inspected until July
'00. It has been used as a 3-4 day a week driver for 9 months out of the
year for the past few years. The current owner is the 2nd owner (bought it
in '85). The body shell has some rust according to the owner, but it doesn't
sound too bad from his description (I know, be careful about structural
rust). He is asking $2000 obo for the car. Although I've seen pics, I have
yet to physically see/drive the car (its 4 hours away). I've checked out
buying guides for MGB's on the various MG pages on the web and also MGB
books, so I have some idea of what to look for. Any opinions, BTDT's,
additional items to look at not mentioned in the buying guides, etc. would
be greatly appreciated. BTW, the car is located between Reading and
Harrisburg, PA. Anyone out there know of any competent British garages (or
listers) in that area that could more thoroughly inspect the car for me if
it passes my preliminary inspections? TIA.

Craig Niederst
niederst@telerama.com