Testing Instruments

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Testing Instruments
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:36:10 -0700
I have a Tachometer, a Fuel Gauge, a Speedometer and Oil/Water gauge that
were/will be CAREFULLY removed from my 67 MGB/GT parts car.  The car hasn't
been driven since 1988, although the instruments seem fine (needles move around
easily when the instrument is moved, etc.)

I would like to know if there's an easy way to test these instruments (short of
connecting them to my roadster and thus introducing problems where there aren't
any!) on the bench.  I want to sell the instruments, but only if they're
operable and OK (I don't want to leave somebody stuck)

This is a positive earth Tachometer, unconverted.

The Oil/Water gauge, as I've read from Barney's postings, will need to be
CAREFULLY removed with the sensors and leads remaining attached (Thank you
Barney).

Lastly, the speedometer still has the trip odometer "stick" attached to it (my
roadsters' was broken off before I got it).  Is that a replaceable part?  I've
not seen it in the Moss catalogue, but who knows?

TIA

Tony Woodruff

67 MGB Roadster (although I think it may be a 66 now looking at the numbers -
looks like July-August of 66!)
67 MGB-GT Parts car (parts are available)