Re: MGA Twinkie explanation

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA Twinkie explanation
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 12:26:17 -0500
Good Morning Allen,

Thank you, Sir, for the fine advice.

Ed, my apologies for misunderstanding your letter.

I am taking the liberty to open my letter to the list because of the technical
tips it may contain. I hope neither of you will object.

If I feel like this about MG, I can hardly appreciate how terrible the workers
and
British enthusiasts felt seeing the fruits of their labor and the greatness of
their whole innovative industry macerated and expectorated by a self indulgent
government, an incompetent management team imported from a scrap yard, and the
slovenly attitudes of the aforementioned dealers.

Many of the things, on many of my many of my MGs that I had to "fix" upon my
acquisition, were dealer bungles:

e.g.: I have receipts from the original and previous owner of my '74 MGB-GT to
show the fuel tank being replaced 6 times over a 3 year period because of
complaints of fuel fumes in the passenger compartment. After that he just lived
with it. (A remarkable achievement because of how much he smoked in that car!)
The
cause: the "T" fitting on the vent tube was plugged with undercoating (dealer
applied)!!! If I were him, I would certainly conclude the car was a piece of
junk.
BTW, he was charged parts and labor each time a tank was changed!

eg: I'll bet that there are substantial numbers of us who have collectively
removed miles of excess wire from the engine compartments of our cars. The
cause:
oxidation in the bullet connectors. Dealer fix: any time an electrical device
stopped working, some dealer employed grease monkey (sorry monkeys) would (a)
malign MG, (b) malign Lucas, (c) install a bypass or shunt in parallel. Color
coding? Who cares; doesn't matter! Wire ties? Wazzat? When the bonnet was opened
it looked like the work of a Technicolor cob web weaver. My solution? apply a
bit
of liquid chrome cleaner into each half of the connector. wash it out with
water;
blow dry, apply some white lithium grease to either half and reassemble. Voila!
Problem solved.

I can go on, but won't.

Jim