Re: Installing a new top

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing a new top
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:40:45 EST
In a message dated 11/3/99 4:19:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
oldcars@newt.vallnet.com writes:

<< I just ordered a new top for my '72 Midget.  I am considering trying to
 install the top myself but am wondering if it is a major job.  I have
 never attempted this before and certainly do not want to rip the top
 trying to install it.  I don't mind having someone else install it but
 kind of wanted to do it myself.  ANyone ourt there installed one (or more)
 before that could tell me the likelihood of me being able to do this. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just put a new hood on my '77 Midget a few months ago.  It is not a
difficult job.  I had an Amco hood that has a mark for where to attach the
header bar at the front, and that made it easy.

You should have at least two people to pull it tight and straight.  Use chalk
to mark the front of the header bar when you know it is correct.  It is best
to have the hood warm when you install it, so winter is not a good time.  If
it is cold when installed it will be loose when it warms up in the summer sun.

You should consider replacing the header bar seal if it isn't in good shape.
That is what actually seals the hood frame to the top of the windscreen.
Mine is nice and dry with the new seal.

Fit it several times at each step of the way.  Of course, you start at the
back and finish with the header bar.  (Then head to the bar.)  Dry fit the
front after you have the rear attached and then apply the contact cement.  I
used a 3M interior trim contact cement that worked well.  It wasn't so strong
that it couldn't be moved a bit when first fitted.

Good luck.  If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport