Clutch Bleed

To: mgs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Bleed
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 19:06:21 -0500
Hi List,

I received a general message today that relayed an idea for bleeding the
clutch slave cylinder. It seems the recipient was advised to run a tube
between the clutch slave cylinder nipple and the Master Cylinder lid,
and pump the hell out of the clutch. The idea sounds clever until you
realize that besides removing air, you will very likely pump a piece of
dirt into your MC that could result in you losing your brakes or clutch
at a most inopportune moment. I can assure everyone, it does not take
much of a speck of rust to block the replenishment orifice in the MC of
an MGA 1500/1600.

NEVER REUSE BRAKE FLUID. Even if it is for the clutch. There are some
very small orifices in the hydraulic cylinders that can be obstructed by
some surprisingly tiny bits of dirt or rust. One of the listers told you
the correct procedure and proper sequence of tighten nipple, press
clutch, loosen nipple, tighten nipple, release clutch, etc. Follow his
instructions, and DON'T PUMP ANY FLUID BACK INTO THE MASTER CYLINDER:

For safety reasons I feel obliged to alert the list. It is not done to
embarrass anyone. We are all here to learn from each other's
experiences, and to share our own knowledge. So it is with the best
intentions that I say, DO NOT PUMP FLUID BACK INTO YOUR MC. PLEASE!!!

Safety Fast!                  MG
Live long and prosper!    Spock
etc. etc.                       Yule Bryner

Jim