Re: Halogen dash lights

To: ATWEDITOR@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Halogen dash lights
From: LBCarCoMail@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 13:40:26 EST
Jay,

Well not to toot my own horn ;0)  But way back when the bulbs from radio
shack were recommended I tried them in my 71 MGB.  I also gave some to a
friend (for his 70 MGB) of mine as I had purchased several extra.  Well
needless to say after all the "fun" putting them in, mine lasted about 2
days, his lasted about 15 minutes.  The lower voltage of these bulbs of
course cannot handle the 12volts on our systems.

Now as far as the Halogen instrument bulbs as well as the other Halogen lamps
- tail, fog, turn, etc - they offer consistantly more brightness and long
life if handled properly (don't touch with bare hands, if you do use alcohol
to clean off).

There are two wattages for the instrument bulbs.  The 5w I would normally use
in the smaller instruments and the 10w in the 2 larger instruments.  I have
had them in my MGA now since March in all instruments and other sockets as
well.  No adverse effects.  In the instruments you can pretty much read a map
with them now.  I would say that is pretty bright <g>.  In my MGB, since
August, I also have them installed and yes the same effect, infact in the MGB
I normally make them a little bit dimmer.  I was finally able to get them in
larger stocking quantities in late August once we determined they would be
quite useful with no ill effects.  Bascially if you drive at night you can
see your instruments with the Halogen bulbs and it is a quick and somewhat
easy fix if you can get your hands behind the dash.

Best regards,

Jeff Zorn
Little British Car Co., Ltd.
Visit us on the web