Re: Clutch bleeding and fluid reuse

To: Enrique Claure <spaninc@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Subject: Re: Clutch bleeding and fluid reuse
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 21:30:03
I don't want to get too in the middle of this, but my take on it is:

1) Absolute safety, use fresh fluid

2) Enrique's comments make sense, but you'd have to definitely know what
you're doing and be willing to bet your life on it.

3) The dire warnings on brake fluid I think were initiated because of
mechanics who would drain off brake fluid, stick it in a (dirty or rusty)
can somewhere, and haul it out later and reuse it at a later point in time,
often with deadly results, either to themselves or to their poor customer.
Thus the warnings "never to reuse".

4) As far as draining it out of the system to recirc it, you'd have to make
darn sure it was clean all the way through.  Personally I wouldn't be
inclined to have any opportunity to introduce any contaminants, but if
those who try really know what they're doing and are assessing the risk and
betting their lives on it, I guess that's up to them.  In other words, I
wouldn't want my mechanic doing it to me, but if he did it to himself
that's his perogative, as long.  It is an enclosed circulatory system, so
if you can intercept it cleanly, it's hard to say or argue that it wouldn't
be safe, though I'll take the weenie route and use fresh stuff.

- Tab