Re: It was just an oil change.....

To: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Subject: Re: It was just an oil change.....
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 99 20:15:51 EST
> I gave my 67 MGB Roadster it's first oil change (I've only owned it for 4
>weeks) and got it refilled, etc.
>
> Now it won't start.  When I turn the key to engage the starter it just makes
>ONE click.  That's all.
>
> I checked to see if I disconnected any wires and there are none hanging.  I
>compared the wiring to the schematic in the Haynes manual - fine.  Battery is
>putting out 12.79 volts.
>
> I loosened the starter motor thinking that perhaps the thrust-gear had stuck
>in the engaged position against the flywheel.  Although I haven't fully
>removed the starter it is still doing the same 1-click thing.
>
> Anything you folks can think of will be most appreciated.
>
> Tony Woodruff
> 67 MGB

 Possibly sounds like i) not enough current in the battery to cross the
connectors(that is, good voltage reading when not under load)
 or  ii) poor connectors for current to flow.
        How old is the battery?
Your symptoms are the same as mine were when my solenoid died.

Oil change is, in my opinion, a false clue, but you may have jogged a
connection while doing it.
        That is the opinion of one amateur to another.
Bill