Re: Flyoff Handbrake

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flyoff Handbrake
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 13:55:40 +0000
Bill Schooler wrote:

> Someone else will have to explain the advantage of a fly-off
> handbrake during competitive driving.  Never could quite figure it
> out...

You will have to ask the Motorkhana-types about those advantages (where
a hairpin turn means trying to wrap your car around a witches-hat/cone)
and return from whence you came... QUICKLY.

I can tell you a DIS-advantage.

At a recent parade (State football grand-final where they get pretty,
open-top cars to parade around the ground with local legends sitting on
the back waving to the fans) we were parked outside the grounds waiting
to load up with these 'legends' but had time for a bit of a natter.

I was amused to see a fellow club member and T driver fossicking in the
ornamental gardens until he emerged with a big rock which he placed
behind the wheel of his car.  When I asked if his handbrake had failed
he told me that the 'fly-off' handbrake was a hazard in public places.
Sightseers sometimes lean inside the car for a look and can easily bump
the handbrake, causing it to... fly off.

They never seem too keen to catch the car before it rolls away down the
street and usually hold up their hands claiming not to have touched a
thing!

Eric
'68MGB MkII