Re: Flyoff Handbrake, or the easier e-brake turn

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flyoff Handbrake, or the easier e-brake turn
From: "Palmer Family" <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 19:34:24 -0800

>I thought everybody made turns like this!  <BG>

We do!!

>Actually, a "handbrake 180" is a bit different.  This is done from a
standing
>start.  You hit the go pedal hard in reverse, then pull the handbrake and
>crank the steering wheel in either direction.  With the rear wheels locked,
>the car will spin around.  If you are good, you can straighten the wheel,
>leggo the handbrake, and hit the gas at the right time so you don't lose
very
>much inertia.  It is taught as an escape maneuver.

Ouch, so much more difficult, and I never have quite gotten good at it (rear
drums tend not to lock in reverse!).  A much simpler way to do it is to fly
in reverse (10-30mph depending on stickiness of surface, dry tarmac vs.
gravel) crank the wheel one direction, just as the car starts to snap
around, tag the brakes to lock the fronts up, they will lose traction and
the car will snap around. If you really think about it, it's the same as
doing a handbrake turn wilst moving forwards, except it's the opposite
wheels.

>This is done in the movies all the time.  Its a bit trickier in an American
>car with a foot activated emergency brake.

See Above!!

> You have to hold the release
>handle whilst pressing the e-brake pedal.  Much easier in an LBC.

>Allen Hefner
>Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
>'77 Midget
>'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

Barry Palmer
72 Midget (82 Rx-7 driveline being put in)
66 Baja Bug 1600 dp (rally car, four wheeler, slash jeep-killer!!!!!!)