Re: Brake Efficiency

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Efficiency
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:37:41 EST
In a message dated 11/7/99 8:05:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, mgbob@juno.com
writes:

<<   That's what they wrote.  Questions-does anyone routinely clean brakes?
 Once contaminated with oil or grease, isn't it best practice to fix the
 leak and replace the contaminated shoes or pads?  What is ABS formula
 brake fluid?  Nobody around here has heard of the stuff.... >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I use Brakleen when I change my brake pads.  It removes all the old brake
dust, and if there is any grease or oil, which can be sprayed on the rotors
from newly paved roads, it should clean all that off.  If you experience a
leaking cylinder or caliper, clean all the brake fluid off everything with
Brakleen before reassembling.  Pads that get saturated with fluid should be
replaced.

The only thing I have heard about ABS brake fluid is not to use silicone
fluid (DOT 5) because it doesn't contain the lubricants needed for the
hydraulic pump.  I use Castrol LMA in my Mitsubishi Expo.  Valvoline has some
new synthetic brake fluid that should also be very good.

How did this get on the MGs list?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget