Brake Efficiency

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Efficiency
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 16:23:54 PST
Seeing all the emails on brake efficiency causes me to ask a question -- on
my '57 MGA, it seems fairly easy to lock up the rear wheels -- is this
normal? I have drums all round, the brakes were professionally re-built
about 2 years ago.

I have always been a little concerned about overheating the brakes (being
drum brakes), but I now think I have my concerns mis-placed: I drove over
the Santa Cruz mountains during the tour before the Palo Alto show recently
with no problems, but last weekend, when I drove my '97 Voyager to Muir
Woods, we arrived at the entrance (at the bottom of the hill) with burning
smells coming from the brakes and distinctly less braking.  What good are
ABS brakes, if there is not enough cooling and the brakes have faded?

Simon