Re: What causes "shutoff shudder"?

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What causes "shutoff shudder"?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 20:05:58 -0000
This is running-on, or Dieseling, and is caused by the incomung fuel charge
being ignited by pressure and residual heat in the cylinders *after* the
ignition has been switched of.  It was a progressively worsening problem as
more emissions changes were made to the engines, and possibly the fuel.  The
condition is worsened by carbonisation, shards of metal on the heads and
high idle speeds.  Eventually anti-runon valves were fitted which either
dumped air into the inlet manifold, or sucked the fuel out of the carb jets
as the ignition was switched off.  I am not sure, without ploughing through
the detail of Clausager, when these were fitted, but after-market items are
available, from the UK MG Owners Club for example.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)