Re: I've got a "Clunk" noise (71 MGB)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I've got a "Clunk" noise (71 MGB)
From: Pointparty@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:32:36 EST
We have had a 71 GT for about 20 years as a regular driver.  From time to
time it develops clunks, boinks, rattles, mysterious gurgles, yips, and an
assortment of other exclusively MG noises.  However it has proven reliable
and dependable and cheaper to keep than other vehicles.  (We also own late
model volvo, cad, jeep and saturn.)   I have a solution that has never
failed.  I am prepared to share this method with you and the list.

The car and I share an emotional bond and have a clear understanding. The
understanding is that I will treat it with dignity and in return it will
always perform as intended by its maker.

First the car and I have a few quiet words together. Then I open the hood
(bonnet) stare into the engine area and knowingly nod and stroke my chin.  It
will usually tell me what is bothering it.  Not verbally of course, it is
more telepathic.  If there is no response,  I crawl unterneath and lightly
tap the handle of a flathed screwdirver against something.

After several days, if the noise continues but does not get more persistant
and if safety and performance is not compromised, I just let it go until the
next regular scheduled maintainance.  If I am worried about safety or if some
mechanical part falls off the car, I call the auto club to tow it to my MG
guy.

Given my demonstrated mechnical limitations I no longer remove or adjust or
replace anything beyond the easily visible external areas.  Simalarly, I
would not attempt to set a child's broken arm or perform cataract surgery on
Mom.  If aspirin, calamine lotion, or a single malt scotch and conversation
won't do it, get someone who knows what they are doing..   More MG's are now
scraped becuase they are screwed up by incompetent owners than by emissions
regulation.