Re: charging problems #2

To: "Steven Miller" <bonding@hotmail.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: charging problems #2
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:04:10 -0800
Without knowing much about your car, here is what I can suggest:

1. What makes you want to "hard wire" the alternator? Do you think there
is a problem with the connector? Other than cleaning and tightening, I
don't see what else you can do to it. Don't join the ranks of DPOs by
splicing around it.

2. At what RPM are you measuring the output? LBC alternators don't put
out enough voltage to charge the battery *at idle*, they need to be run
at operating speed, I think over 1500 RPM. Letting the car sit and idle
will *drain* the battery, not charge it.

3. Are you sure your battery is capable of taking a charge? Take it to
the shop and have it tested. Does it have any water in it?

4. It could be as simple as corroded battery posts and clamps creating
too much resistance. Even if they look OK, take them off and clean them
thoroughly until they are bright and shiny.

5. You are right that a smaller pulley would produce more voltage at
lower RPMs. this may be the real solution, if everything else checks out
OK.

Good luck...

Steven Miller had this to say:

--