Re: Removing broken grease nipple

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removing broken grease nipple
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:42:56 -0600
Carl Elliott wrote:

> Guys when you use easy outs, Buy left handed drill bits the correct size
> for the easy out. Right handed bits tend to tighten the broken item more.
> Just something I found that makes it a little easyer, Cost is a couple
> bucks more, But More come out. Carl E.
>
> Eric wrote:
>
> > Scotsman wrote:
> > >
> > > I would use a small easy-out.  Sometimes they are called screw
> > > extractors.
> > > It is a small spiral shaped affair that has the spirals cut in a
> > > reverse thread.  It has a shaft on the end like a tap does.
> >
> > ... beat me to it by a few minutes so I guess I will just second Bill's
> > suggestion.  It sounds like the ideal job for this tool and should
> > simply "unscrew" without too much trouble (ha! famous last words).
> >
> > > Just used one at work today and it saved my arse!
> > >

> > No comment!
> >
> > Eric
> > '68MGB MkII

Left handed bits are the hot setup, OK.  The drawback to EZ outs is that if
you break one off flush, or lower, you now have way more problems than what
you started with.  They are nearly impossible to drill.  It's been my
experience, mostly learned the hard way, that if a left handed bit will not
get it out an EZ out will not work either.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO